In January 2019, under the direction of Karen Gillingham, East London Metropolitan Opera, supported by the Arts Council, presented a very Hackney interpretation of Strauss’s Die Fledermaus – one of the most joyous, entertaining, infectious operas in history.
A stellar cast of professional opera singers and a Hackney rapper were joined by a chorus made up Hackney Empire Community Chorus, Hackney Youth Choir, a young string quartet and children from three local primary schools. Performed at Hackney Empire the production was a large-scale, celebratory community event drawing on Strauss’ infectious music.
Production led by:
- Emma Dogliani, Project Manager
- Ella Conway, Co- Project Manager
- Stuart Wild, Musical Director
- Karen Gillingham, Director
- Lynne McAdam, Assistant Director
- Oliver Tilll, Conductor
- Ruari Murchison, Designer
- Benjamin Hamilton, Translator
- Jess Boatright, Stage Manager
Photo credits: courtesy of East London Metropolitan Opera https://www.eastlondonmetropolitanopera.com/bat-out-of-hackney